I always have a local copy of websites that I work on. Some people like to put
the folders inside of the inetpub/wwwroot folder. But, I tend to put my website
into a folder c:\websites and then create virtual directories.
The following methods should work fine for WinXP and Win2000. To create a
virtual directory for a folder, right-click on the folder select ‘Properties’.
Then select the Web Sharing tab and click on the “share this folder” radio button, and give the directory an alias. eg. MyNewWebsite.
Another way to create a virtual directory is:
1. Right-click on MyComputer and select “Manage”.
2. Expand the “Services and Applications” node.
3. Expand the Internet Information Services (IIS) node and locate your default
4. Right-click on the default website and select New > Virtual Directory.
5. Follow the wizard to create a new virtual directoty.